Friday, March 7, 2014

Graphic Novel


The story line of the graphic novel was a personal one. I was adopted from China when I was four months old. I feel very blessed to have been adopted into my family but I was always curious about my birth parents. I was found by a construction worker at a construction site and then brought to a police station. I know that my birthday is April 4th and the day I was dropped off at the police station was April 6th. I decided to focus in on the mysterious two day time period from when I was born and then found. I do not know anything about my biological family or the person that found me and brought me to the police station. I used the assignment as a way to show people how I felt about the mysterious time gap. I don't feel upset or emotionally attached to my past any longer so I decided that I would portray it in a more factual way. I did not decide to write myself into the graphic novel. Instead, I tried to be objective and discuss China's One Child Policy throughout the graphic novel. 

I decided to collage throughout the Graphic novel with several types of material. My main material for collaging the graphic novel was magazine paper. Whenever, I imagine what happened it comes out in a haze. I have no idea what my parents look like so I imagine them as blurred out people. I decided to represent their anonymity with colors. I made sure that my mother was all pink whenever represented throughout the graphic novel. I also layered the colors on top of one an other to represent the mood of the graphic novel. I chose to make the background color black instead of white to represent the slightly somber topic. I used colored paper to represent time throughout the graphic novel. For example, I used McCloud's technique by showing time passing with quick panels that showed it going from night to morning. I also used scraps of white fabric to represent a baby bundle throughout the graphic novel. I decide to use wire mesh as the fence for the construction site that I was found in so you see through the fence. This allowed the reader to see hints of what was happening in the construction site. 

No comments:

Post a Comment